Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Summer Camp

My 8-year-old is at summer camp this week. For one whole week! And she has no fears about it. None whatsoever. As a matter of fact, after I picked her up from mini-camp last year (a mere four days), the first thing out of her mouth was, "I'm going for a WEEK next year!" My 6-year-old wanted to go desperately this year, but was too young. "Next year," I reassured her, "you can go to mini-camp."

I never went to camp as a kid. When I recently asked my mom why I never went--assuming we didn't have the funds or the opportunity--she said that I had never wanted to go. That she'd asked me every year and that I'd flat out said no. I have no recollection of this, and can I can only imagine that I knew I'd be too homesick. I got homesick at the drop of a hat as a kid, which is too bad for me. I missed out on a lot of fun at camp, based on my daughter's report from last year. I'm just glad she missed the "homesick gene" from me and eagerly attends camp and sleepovers. As a parent, you always want your kids to do more than you did in life, and in this case, it looks like I've succeeded.

But I still wish I would've had the cojones to go to camp!

2 comments:

  1. You weren't brave enough to go to camp? You? I am having a hard time understanding this.
    Good your girls are brave, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna--I know! Can you believe it? ME?? But I was! Too scared to go to summer camp! Too scared to go to YMCA Day Camp--although my mom made me since the alternative was staying home by myself during the day at the tender age of 9. I just cried and cried the night before I had to go. I guess I had some "issues" going on...

    ReplyDelete

Labels