Friday, February 20, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

1. I tend to be a serious procrastinator. Case in point--Hilltop News. 'Nuff said.

2. I really hated high school. I was not popular and very awkward (read: ugly). College was where I came out of my shell, I suppose, and was truly the best time of my life. Most people who have met me since college do not believe I was quite shy and retiring in high school.

3. Sometimes I still think I am too self-centered to be a mother. While I love being a mom, there is a part of me that would love to chuck it all and run away to live in London in a little flat.

4. On the same note, I try to be the best mom I can. I know sometimes that leaves a lot to be desired. I'm still waiting to get the instruction book in the mail. Damn that US Postal Service!

5. If something happened between Bob and I, I am fairly certain I would not get remarried. While I do love being married, all the "baggage" that tends to come along with it is not worth another go-around.

6. If I had to do it all over again, I would have majored in English in college. I secretly think that I could write one hell of a book someday, but don't know where to start.

7. I really miss having a pet, especially a cat. We always had cats growing up--Socks, Chester, Hattie, Simba. Since Barley died in April, this is the first time I've ever not had a pet.

8. My best friends now are the ones I've met since college, whether it be through work, school/daycare or neighbors. They are an amazing group of women and I love them all dearly.

9. I am a Central PA Lifer, meaning I was born in Harrisburg Hospital, grew up on the West Shore, graduated from Cedar Cliff HS and am now living in Mechanicsburg. I tried and tried to get away after college, but it just didn't work out. I never pictured myself in a million years coming back here to marry and raise a family.

10. I recently described the events of my childhood to some people who weren't privvy to all the sordid details. Their reaction was, "Wow!". While I know I didn't have a typical childhood--especially for the '70s--I'm sure there are people that had it far worse than me. Besides, I think--for the most part--I turned out OK. Except for #11 below.

11. I really like to swear. It's a good release.

12. I really love to read. It's a great escape.

13. I really love to write. When I get on a roll, sometimes I'll look back at what I've written and am amazed at what is on the "page"--that's it's so witty and well-written.

14. Many times I really wish my dad was still alive--even though he's been dead going on 32 years. I hear so many of my friends talk about their dads now, and I wish I was able to have a relationship with my "Daddy" still at the age of 40. I hope my girls are still able to be "Daddy's Little Girls" when they are 40.

15. I love the way my mind works.

16. I attended a taping of "The Price is Right" on Spring Break 1990. It was awesome. I still have the name tag shaped like a price tag that says "RHONDA".

17. I have owned two cars in my life--my beloved "R"-Honda Accord, and my Civic.

18. In college my nickname was "HONDOO". That was on my license plate while I had the "R"-Honda Accord for many years.

19. While I am quite spiritual and believe that God "speaks" to us in many ways--most of which we're not aware of (see Psalm 46:10)--I am not a big fan of organized religion. My feeling is that organized religion has caused many of the problems facing the world today. There. I said it.

20. My favorite time of day is after the girls (and Bob!) have gone to bed and I can curl up with a book on the couch with a glass of wine while listening to the "Big Band & Swing" station on XM.

21. I can eat an entire bag of cheese curls at one sitting.

22. I'd love to get a Masters degree in either Humanities or English.

23. I have never gotten a speeding ticket. (Knock wood!) That is not to say I obey the speed limit when driving...!

24. I love to read to the girls before bedtime. I read like I'm in a play. The girls get a kick out of it and so do I. I then daydream about accepting my Oscar award for Best Actress...

25. Overall, at this point in my life, I like who I am and what I'm doing. I don't give a shit what other people think of me, and try to be accepting of said other people. I donate to charities, care about the downtrodden and worry about global warming, trying to do my best to be "green". I finally understand what people mean when they told me, at 20, "Boy, I wish I knew then what I know now." Yep, I sure do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels