Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wednesday, April 16--We're off to Ireland!

We're off! Bob made me leave for Dulles at 12:00 pm, instead of the 1:00 pm he had previously told me. I think he was a little worried about getting there, since this was our first time to that particular airport.

No worries, though! We got to Aer Lingus' ticket counter at 2:30 pm, only to find out that it didn't open for ticketing until 3:30 pm. Bob staked his place at the head of the line (natch), while I planted myself near a window to read the latest edition of Entertainment Weekly. As I sat, a HUGE "geriatric" tour group approached and got in line. There had to be 60 of them. At this point, I'll admit that I was glad Bob made me leave extra early--we at least beat the tour group.

Finally, the desk opened. The first words out of the girl's mouth was, "There's a problem with the plane, so we've arranged for you to fly on a British Airways flight to Heathrow in London, then on to Dublin from there." Not a very auspicious way to start, but after hearing "there's a problem with the plane", I would've swam to get to to Dublin. Another plane was a definite plus.

God bless British Airlines. After we got on the plane--only an hour after the Aer Lingus flight was supposed to have left--I noticed that each seat had a little "goodie bag" of the following--a blanket, a pillow, a headset, eyeshades and a little tiny toothbrush and toothpaste. PLUS, each seat had it's own TV screen--with access to movies, TV shows, music, kids stuff and more.

The plane was packed, but I was able to sleep rather well--maybe 4 hours or so. I'm sure the two glasses of wine and 2 mg of Xanax I'd taken didn't hurt. But my God! Did they feed you! A HUGE dinner, complete with as much comped booze as you wanted (hence the two glasses for me). Quite nice. Then they served us a breakfast of muffins and yogurt around 6:00 am (new time). I'd fly with them again any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels